Aval/ Poha mixture is little spicy snack which goes very well with evening tea. Normally when we talk about mixtures it is called as a junk and oily snack which cannot be good for BP and Cholesterol patients but this snack can be prepared and enjoyed without any tensions as it is oil free. Aval/ poha/ Rice flakes / beaten rice nicely roasted and combined with peanuts and green chilies make our evening time fantastic and the best. This is one of the common and famous snacks of Maharashtra. Each and every Maharashtrian family will be having a stock of this snack in their airtight containers. Usually we prepare mixtures/ Chivda on gas top but today I tried making it in Microwave. The difference I felt is less time consumption and very little oil with same delicious taste. But below I have given how to make on both:
Microwave as well as Gas top.
In Microwave preparation time will be around 6 mins
- Aval/ Poha/ Rice flakes – 2cups
- Peanut/ Shengdana – ½ cup (raw)
- Green chilies – 2nos (chopped in large pieces)
- Mustard seeds/ Rai – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Cashew nuts – 5nos (cut into half)
- Raisins – 5nos
- Coconut copra – ½ cup (cut into small slices)
- Sugar – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves – 5nos
- Oil – 1tbsp
- Salt as per taste.
- Take a microwave safe dish. Add Rice flakes and microwave in high for 2mins.
- Remove it to a vessel. Now in the same microwave dish, add oil, mustard seeds, peanut, green chilies,
- turmeric powder, coconut copra, curry leaves, cashewnuts, raisins and salt as required. Microwave in high for 2mins.
- Now add rice flakes and nicely mix all the items with spatula till rice flakes turns slightly yellow in color.
- Again microwave in high for 2mins.
- Add sugar and mix thoroughly.
- Aval Mixture/ Poha chivda is ready to serve as a tea time snack.
Normal Gas top method:
- In a kadai, roast rice flakes till they turn slightly crispy. Remove it to a plate and keep a side.
- In the same kadai, add oil, splutter mustard seeds, coconut copra, cashewnuts and raisins.
- Add green chilies, curry leaves, roasted peanut, turmeric powder and salt.
- Now add roasted rice flakes and nicely mix till the rice flakes turn yellow in color.
- Switch off flame and add sugar.
Aval Mixture/ Poha chivda is ready to serve as a tea time snack.