Butter Murukku is one of the easiest and soft among all other murukku. There are different types of murukku such as thengai/ coconut murukku, normal and original rice flour murukku etc…this snack is prepared with a combination of maida with urad dal and little butter with a flavor of cumin seeds and sesame seeds. This is a very good snack for evening tea.
- Maida/ All-purpose flour – 2cups
- Urad dal – 1/4cup
- White sesame seeds – 1tsp
- Cumin seeds/ Jeera/ Jeerakam – 1tsp
- Melted butter – 1tbsp
- Oil for deep fry
- Salt as per taste
[/ingredients] [directions title=”Method:”]
- Sieve Maida and place it in a cloth tightly closed from all parts. Steam it in high flame for 15mins.
- Loosen the closed parts and allow steamed maida to cool.
- Roast urad dal in low flame till slight brown in color. Grind it in a mixer to a fine powder.
- Once the steamed maida is cool, break the lumps to a fine powder.
- Take a deep bottom vessel. Add the steamed maida powder, urad dal powder, sesame seeds, urad dal melted butter and adequate salt.
- Nicely mix all the ingredients. Add little water to make smooth dough like we normally do for chapathis.
- Take murukku mould and fit in the single star shape. Add dough into mould and press into a plastic sheet or else newspaper to a round shape as shown in the picture. Seal the end of murukku.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Drop each Murukku/ Chakali into the hot oil one by one. Fry till both the sides turn slight brown in color.
- Remove it to a plate wrapped with paper towel. When cooled, store it in air tight container.
[/directions] Butter Murukku/ Chakali are ready to serve.