Chala Curry/ Nadan Mathi/ Saradine Curry is a very simple traditional kerala style fish curry which is very much famous among the Keralites. Very less ingredients is used to make this curry & this non vegetarian curry can be made in minutes. In Toddy shop ( kallu shap) spicy fish curry is served with tapioca. Try this recipe once at least in your kitchen….
- Saradine/ Chala – 6 nos (nicely cleaned)
- Ginger – Garlic paste – 2tbsp
- Shallots/ Cheru ulli – 10nos (chopped)
- Curry leaves – 6nos
- Chili powder – 4tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1tsp
- Pepper powder – ½ tsp
- Tamarind/ Valanpuli – 3 nos (soaked in water)
- Coconut oil – 3tbsp
- Salt as per taste.
- Heat a kadai. Pour Oil into it. When oil turns hot add the ginger – garlic paste. Nicely sauté till raw smell goes.
- Then add the chopped shallots & sauté till the shallots become tender.
- Add Chili powder, turmeric powder, curry leaves & little salt. Nicely sauté for 2mins.
- Then pour 3cups water & allow the mix to boil.
- When it starts boiling, add the soaked tamarind, pepper powder & adequate salt.
- Then add cleaned saradine/ chala & low flame & cook till water is evaporated to half.
- Don’t use ladle to stir the curry as it will break saradines. Instead you can lift the kadai & rotate it in clockwise & anti clock wise direction.
- Remove it from flame & garnish with few curry leaves. Keep it aside for 1hour.
Kerala traditional Saradine/ Chala curry is ready to serve. Best combination is cooked Tapioca/ Kappa. Or else hot plain rice.
How to make cook Tapioca:
- Tapioca/ Kappa – 1kg medium size (cut into three equal size)
- Turmeric powder/ Haldi – ½ tsp
- Take chopped Tapioca in a deep bottom vessel & add water so that the tapioca is nicely immersed.
- Add turmeric powder & allow it to boil.
- Low the flame & check in middle whether it is cooked or not.
- When cooked, drain the water completely from the cooked tapioca & see to it that the tapioca doesn’t break.
Cooked tapioca is ready to serve.