Thayir Sadam / Curd Rice / Bagala Bath Recipe is a very famous recipe from Tamil Nadu/ Chennai. This rice variety is prepared during summer season to cool our body. Easy to make with very less ingredients and time consumed is very less for preparation. I usually make this dish when I feel lazy to go to kitchen for preparing food. The main advantage of this dish is that you can even use the left over rice which can reduce wastage. Thick yogurt/ Curd nicely mixed with rice spluttered with some seasonings gives a very typical South Indian touch. The best combination to have this rice is with some lemon pickle or mango achar with some fried pappads.
- Rice – 1cup
- Thick Yoghurt/ Curd – 2cups
- Green chilies – 3nos (finely chopped)
- Ginger – 1inch (finely chopped)
- Mustard seeds/ Rai – 1tsp
- Urad Dal – 1tsp
- Dry Red Chilies – 2nos
- Coriander leaves – ½ cup (finely chopped)
- Salt as per taste.
- Oil – 1tbsp
- Cook rice and drain the water completely from cooked rice. Allow rice to cool.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Splutter mustard seeds, urad dal, and dry red chilies.
- Add Chopped green chilies and ginger and sauté for 2 mins.
- Add adequate salt and switch off the flame. Add cooked rice.
- Nicely mix all the ingredients with rice so that salt is evenly mixed with rice.
- Now add thick yogurt and mix thoroughly. Keep it in refrigerator for 10mins.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve with lemon achar/ pickle and pappad.