Dudhi halwa (Dhoodhi Ka Halwa) is an Indian traditional sweet dish made mostly in North India. Dudhi which is also known in the name of Bottle gourd or else lauki and churaykka in malayalam is prepared with grated dudhi, sugar, milk and ghee with some cardamom flavor. This dessert is a delicious recipe which can be mentioned as simple recipe too. I have added 2cups of sugar in my sweet but you can change the quantity as per your family taste. I think this is the only dessert which is served hot in dining due to its taste. Let’s go to the recipe.
- Dudhi (bottle gourd/churaykka) -2cups (grated)
- Sugar – 2cups
- Milk – 1cup
- Ghee – ½ cup
- Cardamom/ Elakka – 3nos (powdered)
- Cashewnuts – ¼ cup (chopped)
- Badam – ¼ cup (chopped)
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add grated dudhi and nicely sauté till the water oozes out from dudhi in low flame.
- Then add milk and mix well. Stir continuously in medium flame till milk is evaporated.
- Add Sugar and mix well. Stir continuously in low flame till sugar is completely dissolved and the halwa turns to thick in consistency.
- Switch off the flame. Add cardamom powder and ½ part of chopped cashewnut and badam. Mix well.
Garnish Dudhi halwa with balance cashewnuts and badam and serve warm.