Mooli Paratha is famous Indian flat bread served hot mainly during cold/ winter season. This vegetable is easily available in market during these winter time. Radish has much health benefits such as helps in controlling blood pressure, diabetics, constipation, cold and cough and mainly weight loss. It also helps in reducing the risk of cancer. So much benefits from radish then we can call this dish as a healthy dish too. White or else red radish when eaten raw has no taste and hence most of the people avoid its intake. In my family too no one loves to eat radish. But keeping in mind about its health benefits, I needed to include this vegetable in my weekly food list. So thought of making Mooli Paratha, Indian flat bread stuffed with grated mooli with some traditional Indian spices to hide the raw taste of mooli/ radish. When the paratha is greased with some butter or else ghee, our kitchen is filled with flavorful aroma which attracts all our family members to taste this dish. I didn’t have fresh methi/ fenugreek leaves so I substituted with dry fenugreek leaves/ Kasoori methi leaves. The most attractive part is we don’t need to make any side dish for this paratha. Achar/ Pickle or else Butter/ Makhan are the best combination to eat Mooli Paratha. If side dish is compulsory for any families then you can go with Dal fry.
- Red or White radish/ Mooli – 2nos (grated)
- Wheat powder/ Atta – 2cups
- Gram flour/ Besan powder – ½ cup
- Chili powder – 1tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds/ Jeera – ½ tsp
- Dry fenugreek leaves/ Kasoori Methi – 1cup (you can substitute dry fenugreek leaves with fresh leaves)
- Salt as per taste.
- Oil – 1tsp
- Ghee/ Butter – ¼ cup (melted)
- Take a medium sized bowl. Add wheat powder, chili powder, turmeric powder, besan powder, garam masala powder, cumin seeds and salt. Mix well.
- Then add the fenugreek leaves and mix well. Add to it grated radish and knead well to make dough.
- Don’t add water to the dough as radish itself leaves water which will be enough for the dough to become smooth.
- In initial stage the dough will be a little hard but don’t worry. Now add oil to the dough and knead well.
- Keep the dough aside for ½ an hour closed. Now you can see the dough would have become smooth. Knead dough once again.
- Make lemon size balls from the dough. Roll out each ball into a 6 inch paratha.
- Heat a pan. Place the paratha & grease it with 1/2tsp of butter. When the sides turn light brown, turn it to other side & grease it with 1/2tsp of butter.
- When both sides are properly cooked, remove it to a plate.
Delicious and Healthy Mooli Ka Paratha are ready to serve hot. Goes well with achar/ pickle or else makhan/ butter.