Idli is a common breakfast of South India. It is considered as a healthy and nutritious breakfast. But when we serve this in dining table we can hear lots of comments from our children or else youngsters to avoid eating this healthy food. But we need to have a solution for making children cheerful fulfilling our purpose too. So I thought that this make over on idly will be a super solution to attract our children and even youngsters. Idli Upma, a healthy and easy dish which can be served during breakfast as well as evening snack. Idli combined with lots of vegetables and tempered with South Indian spices give a different look and taste to this dish. Children’s will love to have this dish in their evening snacks as well as we will be happy serving them healthy food. Also we can be satisfied that we didn’t have to throw out the left over idlis.
- Left over Idli – 8nos
- Ginger – 1inch (finely chopped)
- Onion – 1no (chopped)
- Tomato – 1no (finely chopped)
- Potato – 1 medium size (chopped)
- Carrot – 1no (finely chopped)
- Chili powder – 1tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Cumin Seeds/ Jeera – 1tsp
- Urad Dal – 1tsp
- Mustard seeds/ Rai – 1tsp
- Curry leaves – 5 to 6leaves
- Coconut oil – 1tbsp
- Salt as per taste.
- Blend idli in the blender or else mixer to make a fine powder. Keep it a side.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Splutter mustard seeds, urad dal and cumin seeds.
- When the urad dal turns slight brown in color, add chopped ginger and onion.
- Add a pinch of salt and sauté in medium flame for 5mins. Now add chopped potatoes and carrot. Sauté in low flame. Close it with a lid and cook for 3mins.
- Remove lid and confirm that the potatoes are properly cooked.
- Now add chili powder, turmeric powder and adequate salt. Sauté for 2mins in low flame.
- Then add the chopped tomatoes and sauté for 2mins. Don’t overcook tomatoes.
- Add the powdered idli and mix well. Add curry leaves. Switch off flame and close it with a lid and keep aside for 5mins.
Idli upma is ready to serve hot.