Kalan is one of the tastiest and important dish in Kerala sadhya. Its the main recipe in Onam sadhya. Kalan is made in thick coconut- curd paste with some kerala nadan flavors. Kalan can be prepared using Mampazham (Sweet Mango), Nendra Pazham (long yellow banana), Chena (Yam/ Sooran), Vazhakka (Raw Banana) season wise. For Mampazha kalan We normally use Chandrakaran mango which is small in size and sweet.
Today I have made this dish using Chena (Yam/ Sooran).
- Chena (Sooran/ Yam) – 250 gms (cubicaly chopped)
- Grated Coconut – 1 cup
- Green Chilies – 5 nos
- Jeera/ Cunmin seeds/ Jeeragam – 1tsp
- Chili powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 10 leaves
- Curd/ Yogurt – 1 cup(thick yogurt)
- Rai/ Kadaka/ Mustard seeds – 1/2tsp
- Ulava/ Methi Seeds – 1/2tsp
- Dry red chilies – 3nos
- Salt to taste.
- Coconut oil – 1tsp
- Take a vessel. Add chena (Sooran/ Yam) with adequate water. Add 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder. Keep vessel in the pressure cooker. When 1st whistle comes, low the flame & cook for 20mins.
- In the mixi jar, add the grated coconut, jeera seeds, 1/2 tsp chili powder, green chilies, 6 nos curry leaves. Now grind it.
- Then add curd & once again grind it to a fine paste.
- Take the cooked chena from the pressure cooker. Remove excess water from the cooked chena into a glass. Smash chena slightly.
- Add the grinded coconut-curd paste & nicley mix. If you feel curry is too thick, add little extracted water to it. Don’t add plain water.
- Keep it in a low flame. When bubbles start coming, switch off the flame.
- Season the curry in coconut oil with rai,ulava,dry red chilies & curry leaves.
- Kerala Style Kalan is ready.
Goes very well with Kerala kuthaari chor & white rice.