Kappa Biryani is a traditional dish of Malabar (Kerala). This dish is usually served with either beef curry or else mutton. As I am a vegetarian, I tried this dish with curd. Normally we have heard Hyderabadi biryani, Veg Biryani, Chicken biryani etc… but Kappa Biryani also makes a complete & heavy meal.
- Tapioca/ Kappa – 1kg (cleaned & cut into to small pieces)
- Green Chilies – 2nos (cut into slits)
- Ginger – ½ inch (finely chopped)
- Onion – 1no (cut into long slices)
- Tomato – 1no (finely chopped)
- Curry leaves – 6 to 7leaves
- Chili powder – 1tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander powder/ malli powder – 2tsp
- Biryani Masala powder – 2tsp
- Garam Masala powder – ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds/ Rai – 1tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Coconut oil – 2tbsp
- In a deep bottom vessel, add the cleaned & chopped tapioca. Add chili powder ½ tsp, turmeric powder and little salt. Pour adequate water so that kappa is nicely immersed.
- Cook the tapioca in pressure cooker. When 1st whistle comes, low flame & cook for 10mins. Remove the excess water from cooked tapioca.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Splutter mustard seeds and add sliced onion and green chilies with a pinch of salt.Sauté well till the onion turns tender.
- Add finely chopped ginger & sauté for 2mins in low flame.
- Then add chili powder, coriander powder, biryani masala powder and garam masala powder. Sauté for 5mins in low flame.
- Add finely chopped tomato and curry leaves and sauté till oil separates from sides. Add adequate salt.
- Add the cooked tapioca & nicely mix so that all the masala is mixed evenly in tapioca/ kappa. Remove it from flame.
Kappa Biryani is ready to serve hot with thick curd/ yoghurt or else raita.