Kappa which is called as Tapioca in English is one of the traditional & favorite dish of most Malayalees. They are made in varieties in Kerala such as Kappa puzhangiyatha with chala curry (very famous), Kappa curry with puttu, Kappa Masala curry with chapathi & Kappa Upma. Today Iam presenting before you is Kappa Upma which is very easy to make & tasty. Very few commonly used ingredients are used to make this dish with less time.
- Tapioca/ Kappa – 1kg
- Green Chilies – 10nos (cut into slits)
- Ginger – 2inch (finely chopped)
- Onion – 2nos (cut into slices)
- Chili powder – 1tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1tsp
- Mustard seeds/ Rai – 1tsp
- Curry leaves – 10leaves
- Dry Red Chili/ Kollamulaga – 2nos
- Coconut oil – 2tbsp
- Salt as per taste.
- Clean tapioca nicely & cut into small pieces. Add chili powder, turmeric powder & adequate salt. Pour water into it so that tapioca is nicely immersed in water. Cook chopped tapioca in pressure cooker. When 1st whistle comes, low flame & cook for 10mins.
- Remove excess water from the cooked tapioca & keep it aside for cooling.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Splutter mustard seeds, dry red chilies & curry leaves.
- Add green chilies & chopped ginger & sauté well for 2mins in low flame.
- Then add sliced onion & add little salt. Sauté till onion turn transparent & slight brown in color.
- Mix cooked tapioca nicely with sautéed onions. Slightly smash tapioca so that it can absorb the flavor of chilies & ginger.
Tapioca/ Kappa Upma is ready to serve hot mainly during rainy season.