Kuttu curry is a Kerala traditional curry which is one among sadhya & usually made during Onam & Vishu festival. Kadala/ Brown chickpeas along with Yam cooked in thick coconut gravy & mixed with roasted grated coconut enrich the taste of this nadan dish.
- Kadala/ Brown Chickpeas – 1cup
- Yam/ Chena – 1cup (chopped in small squares)
- Grated coconut – 2cups
- Cumin seeds/ Jeerakam – 1tbsp
- Chili powder – 1tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Black pepper powder – 1tsp
- Coconut oil – 1tbsp
- Salt as per taste
- Soak kadala in water for 9 to 10hours. Cook the soaked kadala in pressure cooker for 8 to 10whistles. Keep it aside.
- In a deep bottom vessel, add the chopped chena & pour 1 ½ cup water. Add Chili powder, turmeric powder & black pepper powder. Cook chena in low flame it turns soft.
- Combine 1cup grated coconut & cumin seeds & nicely grind to a fine paste.
- Now mix together cooked kadala, chena & coconut paste. Add salt & nicely sauté in low flame. The curry should be in thick foam.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add the balance 1cup grated coconut & sauté till coconut turns golden brown in color.
- Now pour the thick curry into the roasted coconut & combine it nicely. Cook for 5mins in low flame.
Kerala style Kuttu curry is ready to serve for sadhya. Goes well with hot rice.