A Kozhikatta / Rice ball is a famous and traditional Indian dumpling of Kerala and Tamil Nadu. The stuffing made for this recipe is different in cities of Kerala. The most common stuffing found is coconut– jaggery, coconut – dates, simple grated coconut. In North India, this is famous in the name of Modak which is made as an offering to lord Ganesh during Ganesh Chaturthi/ Vinayaka Chaturthi. This savory can be preserved for 2 to 3days in an air tight container.
- Raw Rice – 1cup
- Fresh grated coconut – 1cup
- Jaggery/ Sharakara – ½ cup (grated)
- Elakka/ Cardamom – ½ tsp
- Salt as per taste.
- Soak rice in water for 3hours.
- Then drain complete water from rice and spread it on a newspaper to make rice dry for 2hours.
- Grind it in the mixer to make a smooth fine rice powder. Sieve the rice powder in a vessel.
- Add little salt and mix nicely. Add little water to the rice powder and make smooth dough as we normally do for chapathis. Keep it closed for 10mins.
- In the meantime, add 2tbsp of water and grated jaggery in a deep bottom vessel.
- Bring it to boil. Slow flame and melt the jaggery completely.
- Drain the upper part of melted jaggery to another vessel. Add grated coconut and cardamom powder and nicely mix all the ingredients.
- Now make lemon size balls from the rice dough. Roll it to a 3inch round shape. Stuff in middle 1tbsp coconut- jaggery mix and close the edges nicely and make a ball slowly.
- In same manner, prepare remaining balls.
- Pour a glass of water in idly cooker. Place two idly plates into the cooker. The below part should not be filled. On the upper idly plate, place stuffed rice balls. Close the pressure cooker. Do not put whistle on cooker.
- When the steam starts coming out from cooker, low flame and cook for 10mins.
- Switch off flame and remove lid. To check whether the kozhikatta is ready, pin it with a tooth pick. If rice dough doesn’t stick on the tooth pick then the kozhikatta is completely cooked.
- Allow it to cool and then serve it as a snack.
- Kerala Style Kozhikatta is ready to serve
Note: 1. You can substitute raw rice with Idiyappam Rice flour
2. For diabetic patient, avoid jaggery.