A traditional recipe of Kerala, Kozhuva Meen Peera is a favorite dish in our kitchen. its very much popular in kallushap (toddy shop) were u will get extremely hot and spicy food. Usually Meen pira is made out of small fish & in many places raw mango/ manga is also added for a little tangy taste. This dish can be stocked in refrigerator for a week. Kozhuva is also known in the name of Netholi/ Anchovy.
Let’s get into the recipe part:
- Kozhuva/ Netholi/ Anchovy Fish – 500gms (cleaned)
- Chili powder – 3 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1tsp
- Coconut – 1cup (grated)
- Green chili – 5 nos
- Shallots (Small onion) – 6 nos
- Curry leaves/ Kadipatta – 4 nos
- Salt as per taste
- Coconut Oil – 3 tbsp
- Marinate the cleaned kozhuva with chili powder, turmeric powder & salt. Keep it in refrigerator for ½ an hour.
- Heat a frying pan & add 2tbsp of oil. Add marinated kozhuva & fry it in low flame until the fish turns crispy.
- In the meantime, grind grated coconut, green chilies, small onions & curry leaves in mixer.
- Remove the crispy kozhuva in a bowl wrapped with paper towel.
- In the same frying pan pour 1tbsp of oil, add grinded coconut & little salt & fry till coconut turns slightly golden in color.
- Then add crispy kozhuva to fried coconut & nicely mix & cook for 5mins.
- Remove it to bowl.
Kozhuva Peera is ready to serve with hot rice.