Lemon rice is a South Indian recipe which is very easy to make. Lime juice in combination with rice gives a tangy flavor of lemon which makes us refresh. We can prepare this dish even with left over rice.Lemon rice is Healthy and low fat recipe. Normally we carry this dish during travel or long journeys but we don’t add onion & garlic to avoid the rice go bad. Locally we even call it as a South Indian pulao….
- Raw rice – 2cup
- Lemon Juice – 2tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2tsp
- Mustard seeds/ Rai/ kadaka – 1/2tsp
- Uzhunu/ Urad dal – 1/2tsp
- Chana dal/ Kadala Parrippu – 1/2tsp
- Dry Red Chilies – 2nos
- Onion – 1no (sliced)
- Garlic – 3pods (sliced)
- Peanuts/ Kapalandi/ Shengdana – 1/2tsp (roasted)
- Curry leaves/ Kadipatta/ Karuvepila – 5leaves
- Oil – 1tsp
- Salt as per taste.
- Clean the raw rice in cold water 2 or 3 times. Cook the rice with adequate water. Drain the excess water from rice after the rice is almost cooked. (See to it that the rice is not over cooked) Allow the rice to cool.
- Heat a kadai. Add oil. Then add mustard seeds. Allow it to splutter. Then add urad dal, chana dal & dry red chilies. Fry for 5 seconds. The color will turn to slight brown.
- Add turmeric powder & sauté for 1min
- Then add sliced onion & garlic & sauté well till onion turns transparent. Add salt.
- Low the flame & add cooked rice & lemon juice & mix nicely.
Lemon Rice is ready to serve hot with coriander chutney.