Masala Dosa is one of the famous South Indian Breakfast & my favorite dish. Dosa are made in varieties using same batter in which Masala dosa is a common & tasty dish which we people normally order at restaurants. We can make restaurant style Masala Dosa in our home kitchen with less time. I have added besan powder to dosa batter to give a yellowish color to the batter as well as the dosa becomes very crispy. Pouring ghee on top gives a very nice & tempting smell to Masala Dosa. Let’s try my recipe…
- Dosa batter – 3cups
- Besan powder – 1tbsp
- Oil as per requirement
- Ghee as per requirement (optional)
- Salt – 1tsp
- Potato – 4nos
- Onion – 2nos (cut into slices)
- Green chilies – 6nos (as per spice required) (cut into slits)
- Ginger – 1inch (finely chopped)
- Mustard Seeds/ Rai – 1tsp
- Cumin seeds/ Jeerakam – 1tsp
- Urad Dal – 1tsp
- Curry leaves – 6nos
- Coriander / Dhania/ Malli leaves – ½ cup (finely chopped)
- Turmeric powder – 1tsp
- Oil – 3tbsp
- Salt as per taste
Method for making Masala:
- First cook potatoes in pressure cooker. Please don’t add water into potato vessel. Add adequate water in the cooker & place potato vessel into the cooker. When first whistle comes, low flame & cook for 15mins. Peel off skin & nicely smash the cooked potatoes. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Splutter mustard seeds, urad dal, cumin seeds & curry leaves.
- Add green chilies & chopped ginger. Sauté for a minute. Add turmeric powder, sliced onion & adequate salt.
- Nicely sauté till the onions turn transparent & slight pink in color.
- Then add smashed potatoes & nicely mix so that all ingredients get properly combined with potatoes.
- Add chopped coriander leaves & mix well. Masala is ready. Make 6 equal portions of masala.
Method for making Masala Dosa:
- In a deep bottom vessel, pour the dosa batter. Add besan powder & salt. Mix thoroughly & see to it that no lumps are foamed.
- Heat a dosa tawa & grease it with little oil. Pour 1 ladle of dosa batter & spread it in a round shape to make a thin dosa.
- Then keeping it on a medium flame, pour a teaspoon of oil on top of dosa & 1tsp of ghee. Nicely spread ghee to all over the dosa with the spatula which gives a nice aroma.
- When it start turning crispy, add one portion of masala in the middle of dosa & spread it with spatula.
- Cook till the dosa turns golden brown in color & fold it pressing slightly to make a roll. See to it that Roll doesn’t break.
Masala Dosa is ready to serve hot. Goes well with Sambar, Coconut chammandhi & onion chutney.