Methi Matar Malai
Methi Matar Malai is a delicious Punjabi recipe made with fresh Methi (Fenugreek leaves, Ulava leaves), Green peas (matar) cooked in fresh cream added with varieties of Indian spices enriches its flavor. Normally Methi leaves are not loved by every person due to its bitter taste but Trust Me!!!!! this dish will never give a bitter taste due to addition of Fresh cream. Try once in your kitchen & serve your family, I bet!!!!! Your family will request you to make this offenly.
- Fresh Methi / Ulava / Fenugreek leaves – 2cups
- Matar – 1cup (I used frozen matar)
- Fresh cream – 1cup
- Ginger-Garlic Paste – 1tsp
- Onion – 2medium size (finely chopped)
- Green chilies – 4nos
- Tomato – 1no (finely chopped)
- Tomato sauce/ Ketchup – 2tbsp
- Jeera/ Cumin seeds – 1tsp
- Chili powder – 1tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander/ Malli/ Dhaniya powder – 1tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Coriander leaves/ Dhaniya/ Malli ela – 2tbsp (optional)
- Butter – 1tbsp
- Salt as per taste
- Remove stems from methi leaves. Wash them twice in normal water. Remove from water & chop methi leaves finely & keep it aside.
- Heat a kadai. Add butter. When the butter is completely melted, add cumin seeds & allow it to turn brown in color. Then add finely chopped onion & sauté well.
- When the onion turns transparent, add ginger-garlic paste & sauté well.
- Then add chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala & salt. Saute well for 2mins.
- Add chopped tomatoes & tomato sauce & sauté for 5mins in low flame or else till tomatoes become tender.
- Add chopped methi leaves & mix well all ingredients & close with lid & cook for 2mins in low flame.
- Then add matar & nicely mix & close with lid & cook for 5 to 6mins in low flame.
- Then pour fresh cream & mix well. If salt required, then add little salt.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Methi Matar malai is ready to serve. Goes well with roti, chapathi, jeera rice & naan.