Modakam is one of the favorite dishes of Lord Ganesha and usually we prepare this dish during Ganesha festival as a part of Nivedyam/ offering. There are many types of Modak. I think around 14types. Today on this special occasion of Ganesh Chaturthi, I have prepared Modakam with a stuffing of coconut and jaggery. This dish can be used for evening snack too.
- Idiyappam Rice powder – 1cup
- Water – 1cup
- Salt as per taste
- Oil – 1tsp
[ingredients title=”Ingredients for making choornam”]
- Jaggery/ Sharkara/ Gud – 1cup (grated)
- Fresh Grated Coconut – 2cups
- Cardamom/ Elaichi/ Elakka – 6nos (crushed)
Method for making choornam:
- In a deep bottom vessel, add grated jaggery and little water. Dissolve jaggery & stir continuously till the consistency becomes a bit thick. Drain it to a vessel.
- Grind grated coconut slightly and add it to jaggery. Add crushed cardamom & nicely stir. Keep it a side.
- Boil water in a deep bottom vessel. Pour little by little to Idiyappam powder along with salt. Add oil and
- Keep mixing to become smooth dough.
- Grease your hand with little oil. Take lemon size dough and flatten the ball to maximum thin size. Keep a
- spoon full of choornam in the center (as shown in the picture).
- Pull around the edges and bring it to center over top of the filling. Nicely see to it that no other part gets torn. Bring it to a shape of a modak. You can follow the same method for making modakam with remaining dough.
- Arrange the modakams/ modak in a steaming plate or else Idly plate greased with little oil. Steam the modakams in pressure cooker without using pressure in low flame for 10mins.
Modakam Nivedyam is ready for our lord Ganesha.