Nadan Chemmeen Curry (Kerala style) is very easy & delicious dish made in earthen pots which enhance the flavor. Prawns cooked in coconut – coriander paste along with our nadan spices gives an authentic taste along with texture.
- Prawns – 500gms (cleaned)
- Ginger – garlic paste – 2tsp
- Shallots/ Small onion – 8nos (cleaned)
- Chili powder – 2tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Grated coconut – ½ cup
- Coriander powder – 3tsp
- Kodampuli/ Tamarind – 3small pieces
- Curry leaves – 6nos
- Rai/ Kadaka/ Mustard seeds- 1tsp
- Ulava/ Methi seeds – ½ tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Heat a kadai or earthen pot. Pour oil & add rai & methi seeds. Allow it to splutter.
- Add curry leaves. Then add ginger garlic paste & sauté for 3mins.
- Add chili powder, Turmeric powder & little salt. Nicely sauté for 1min
- Now add small onions & sauté well till golden in color.
- Add cleaned prawns, tamarind & sauté well. Pour 1 ½ glass of water & allow it to boil.
- When curry starts to boil, low the flame & cook closed with a lid till water is completely evaporated.
- In the meanwhile, Grind grated coconut, coriander powder together in to a smooth paste.
- Add grounded paste into the cooked prawns & pour 1/2 glass water & adequate salt.
- Allow it to boil & in low flame cook for 5mins. Switch off the flame.
Nadan Prawns/ Chemmeen curry is ready to serve with hot rice.