Nariyal ki barfi/ Coconut Barfi is a very prominent homemade sweet which is easy to prepare. Fresh coconut cooked in milk with cardamom flavored sugar syrup makes it rich & delicious. I learnt to make this sweet dish from my Marathi neighbor aunty. To make this recipe easier, I will suggest selecting moderate dry coconut rather than fresh coconut. Let us start with the recipe.
- Grated Coconut – 4 cups
- Milk – 3/4 cup
- Sugar – 3 cups
- Green Cardamom (ilaichi) – 6 nos (powdered)
- Ghee – 3 tsp.
- Heat a kadai & add 3 tsp of ghee.
- Add grated coconut to it & sauté on medium flame continuously till coconut turns slight brown.
- Then add milk to it & mix well till the milk gets absorbed fully.
- Now add sugar & stir continuously.
- Stir continuously till the mixture becomes a little dry and begins to leave the sides of kadai.
- Low the flame & add the powdered ilaichi & mix well.
- Grease a tray with ghee. Pour the mixture in the tray & spread evenly.
- Cool & cut into pieces & serve.