Olan is one of the 9items which is prepared in Kerala during Sadya/ Onam/ Vishu. This side dish can be made very easily with very less ingredients. White Gourd cooked along with green chilies and coconut milk gives a special taste to the dish.
- White Gourd/ Elavan – 1cup (cut into medium cubes)
- Red Bean/ Vanpira – ½ cup
- Green Chilies – 5pieces (cut into slits)
- Curry leaves/ Kadipatta – 6leaves
- Coconut milk – 1 cup
- Salt as per taste.
- Take a deep bottom vessel. Add chopped elavan and 1cup water. Add green chilies and little salt.
- Cook on low gas till elavan is properly cooked.
- Clean the Red bean nicely and cook in pressure cooker. When 1st whistle comes, low flame and cook for 8mins.
- When the White gourd is completely cooked, add cooked red bean excluding its water.
- Add coconut milk, curry leaves and adequate salt. Bring the curry to boil. Remove it from Flame.
- Kerala Style Olan is ready to serve as a side dish.