Paneer Butter Masala is a popular delicious Punjabi side dish filled with Indian Spices, paneer cubes, fresh cream with a slight butter taste. This dish is also known in the name of Paneer Makhani. Every North Indian restaurant has this dish in their menu card but the problem I noticed is adding color which enhances look of the dish & we cannot confirm whether the Paneer cubes are fresh or stored one. I thought of trying this dish at home with homemade paneer without adding any color. Let’s go to the recipe & hope you all will try this in your kitchen.
- Paneer Cubes – 500gms (2 cups of cubes)
- Fresh Cream – 1cup (I used Amul fresh cream)
- Milk – 1 cup
- Onion – 2 medium sized (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 1 medium sized (finely chopped)
- Ginger-Garlic Paste – 1 tsp (I used 5 garlic pods & 1 inch ginger & made fine paste)
- Chili Powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Dhania/ Malli/ Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Tomato sauce/ ketchup – 1 ½ tsp
- Fenugreek/ Kasuri methi leaves – a pinch (dry leaves)
- Coriander leaves – 2 tsp
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Salt as per taste.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in pan & add paneer cubes.
- Fry the paneer cubes till all the sides turn slightly golden brown.
- Remove paneer cubes to a dish which is coated with a paper napkin.
- Add 1 tsp of oil in same pan & add chopped onion & sauté well.
- When the onion starts turning golden brown, add ginger-garlic paste & sauté well for a 2 minutes.
- Then add chili powder. turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder & little salt.
- Sauté well till nice aroma comes out & all ingredients are well combined.
- Then add chopped tomato & sauté till the oil separates.
- Add tomato sauce & sauté for 2 mins.
- Then add milk. Mix well & cook covered for at least 5 mins.
- When you remove the lid you can see it has become thick gravy.
- Add 1 tsp of coriander leaves & a pinch of kasuri methi to the gravy. Sauté well.
- Once the gravy is properly cooked add fried paneer cubes & mix well.
- Then add fresh cream & mix well & cook for 5 mins in low flame.
- Adjust salt as per taste.
- Garnish the dish with balance coriander leaves.
Paneer Butter Masala goes well with naan, roti, chapathis.