Pav Bhaji is a very popular street food in Mumbai (India). Potato smashed & cooked in tomato gravy which contains lots of Indian spices makes this dish yummy. This is mainly found during the evening time in streets. This can be made in our home kitchen in less time, hygienic as well as you can add your loved vegetables to make it more nutritional. This bhaji is eaten with typical bread known as “Pav” which is easily available in super markets.
- Potatoes – 500gms (cooked & smashed)
- Frozen Green Peas – 1cup
- Onion – 2nos (finely chopped)
- Ginger – Garlic paste – 1tsp
- Tomato – 500gms (finely chopped)
- Kashmiri Chili powder – 1tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Garam Masala – 2tsp
- Pav Bhaji Masala – 3tbsp
- Lemon Juice – 1tsp
- Coriander leaves/ Malli ela/ Dhaniya leaves – 1cup (chopped)
- Butter – 1tbsp
- Oil – 3tbsp
- Salt as per taste.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add chopped onion & sauté till onion turns transparent in color.
- Add ginger – garlic paste & nicely sauté for 2mins.
- Then add Kashmiri Chili powder, Turmeric powder, Garam Masala powder, Pav bhaji Masala powder & salt. Sauté in low flame for 2mins.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes & cook until oil is seen from sides.
- Add smashed potatoes, green peas & mix well. Then add 2 glass of water & allow the bhaji to boil.
- When the gravy starts to become crude, remove it from flame & add lemon juice / syrup & coriander leaves.
Pav Bhaji is ready to serve. While serving add 1tsp of butter on top of bhaji. Also grease each pav or bread with some butter & slightly roast it in tawa.
Note: You can add your favorite vegetables to make it more nutritional.