Poori Bhaji is a very famous breakfast of Maharashtra, North India. In South India – it is named as Boori Bhaji in most of the hotels. Poori is made out of Wheat powder & Bhaji consists of Potato flavored with ginger – garlic & Green chilies.
- Potato – 500gms
- Onion – 2nos (cut into large square pieces)
- Green Chilies – 8 nos (cut into long slits)
- Ginger – 1inch (finely chopped)
- Garlic – 3 pods (finely chopped)
- Curry leaves/ Kadipatta – 5-6 leaves
- Dhaniya/ Malli Ela/ Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds/ Rai/ Kadaga – 1tsp
- Urad dal/ Uzhunu – 1tsp
- Cumin seeds/ Jeera – 1tsp
- Turmeric powder/ Haldi – ½ tsp
- Oil – 3tbsp
- Salt as per taste
- Cook potatoes in pressure cooker without adding water in potato.
- Remove the skin of cooked potatoes. Smash the potatoes & keep it a side.
- Heat a kadai. Add oil. Then add rai, urad dal & allow it to splutter.
- Then add cumin seeds & allow it to splutter.
- Add Green chilies, chopped ginger- garlic & nicely sauté.
- Add turmeric powder & sauté for a minute. Then add chopped onions & curry leaves & salt.
- When the onion turns slightly soft, add smashed potatoes & mix well.
- Add coriander leaves & mix nicely & low the flame & cook closed for 2mins.
- Remove it from flame. Potato bhaji is ready to serve.
- Atta/ Wheat powder – 2cups
- Water as per requirement.
- Salt as per taste.
- Take a vessel. Add wheat powder & salt & stir well.
- Add water at intervals & knead the powder to make dough. Remember the dough should not be sticky.
- Add 1 tsp oil to the dough & knead to make smooth dough. Don’t keep dough aside as usually we insist for chapathis.
- Make small balls out of the dough. Roll each ball to a small round with medium thickness.
- Heat oil in a kadai for deep frying. To check whether oil is perfect to drop the pooris, take a pinch of dough & drop it in the oil. If dough comes up to the surface then the oil is hot.
- Drop the poori in oil & keep stirring with ladle so that poori puffs up to the surface.
- Turn to the other side & when it starts turning slightly brown, remove it to a plate wrapped with tissue paper.
Hot Poori is ready to eat with Potato Bhaji.