Pulienji is a tasty and delicious gravy used as a side dish during South Indian festivals such as Onam, Vishu, Birthdays and sadhyas or any family occasion. Pulienji is a recipe which is made out of Tamarind pulp with a combination of jaggery. Normally this dish can be prepared and stored in airtight container for 6 to 7 months. This gravy is a traditional recipe of Keralites and always available in most of the Malayali houses. Hot Rice with little ghee and pulienji will make our lunch or dinner yummy and superb.
- Tamarind/ Puli/ Emly – 250gms
- Jaggery/ Gud – 250gms
- Ginger – 100gms (finely chopped)
- Green Chilies – 50gms (finely chopped)
- Chili Powder – 2tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1tsp
- Curry Leaves – 1cup
- Mustard seeds – 1tsp
- Urad Dal – 1tsp
- Coconut Oil – 2tbsp
- Salt as per taste.
- Soak Tamarind in water for half an hour.Then ooze out the tamarind pulp into a deep bottom vessel(i prefer kalchatti(vessel made out of stone)
- Then add chili powder, turmeric powder and adequate salt.
- Heat the tamarind pulp, when tamarind pulp starts to boil, low flame and allow it to cook nicely.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds and urad dal. when it splutters, add the chopped green chilies, ginger and curry leaves. saute for 2mins.
- Add it to the boiling tamarind pulp. Nicely mix all the items very well.
- Then add jaggery into the tumarind pulp and allow it to cook nicely. when the jaggery is completely dissolved, cook the gravy till the raw smell of tamarind pulp goes.
- When the tamarind pulp gets thicken, switch off the flame.
- Tasty and delicious Puliinji is ready to serve with hot rice.