Erissery a traditional recipe which is prepared as one of the side dish in South India. There are many varieties of Erissery but today I have made same elserri which is served during Onam and Vishu festival. Typical Kerala style Erissery with a combination of Red bean and Red pumpkin with coconut base gravy.
- Red beans/ Vanpira – 1cup
- Red Pumpkin/ Mathangya – 1cup (cut into large cubes)
- Fresh grated coconut – ½ cup
- Cumin seeds/ Jeeragam – 1tbsp
- Red chili powder – 1tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds/ Rai – 1tsp
- Oil – 1tbsp
- Salt as per taste
- Clean red beans in water. Take medium sized deep bottom vessel, add the cleaned red beans. Add 1½ cup of water and place the vessel in pressure cooker for cooking. When 1st whistle comes, lower the flame & cook for 10mins. Keep it aside.
- In the meanwhile, take another vessel and add chopped pumpkin. Add to it chili powder, turmeric powder and little salt and adequate water. Cook in low flame until done. (The pumpkins should not be over cooked).
- Grind together fresh grated coconut and cumin seeds to a fine paste.
- Now combine the cooked pumpkin along with cooked red beans. Mix them nicely. See to it that the pumpkins don’t break.
- Now pour coconut paste to mixed beans and add adequate salt. Nicely stir the whole curry and bring it to boil.
Remove it from flame. Season Erissery with Mustard seeds