Puran poli is a typical Marathi dish served during Holi, Gudipadwa festival. This dish very much resembles to our stuffed paratha but the preparation is totally unique. The stuffing is known as puran & the outer cover is known as poli. In Kerala this dish is famous in the name of Boli, accompaniment for payasam in kerala sadhya. The stuffing contains Chanadal paste mixed in Jaggery or sugar syrup. This dish is served with spoonful of ghee.
- Chanadal – 1cup
- Jaggery/ Sugar – 1 ½ cup
- Wheat Flour – 2cups
- Plain Flour/ Maida – ½ cup
- Oil – 2tbsp
- Cardamom/ Elakkai Powder – 1tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Cook Chanadal in pressure cooker with adequate water.
- Remove excess water from the cooked dal &smash the chanadal to a fine paste.
- Dilute Sugar or jaggery in little water to make syrup. Mix smashed dal in the syrup.
- Add cardamom powder to the puran& nicely mix & make dough.
- In a deep bottom vessel, add Wheat flour, plain flour, a pinch of sugar & a pinch of salt & oil.
- Nicely knead the flour to make smooth dough. Keep it closed for 2hours.
- Make lemon size balls from the puran& keep it aside.
- Make lemon size balls from dough & roll the ball slightly & stuff a ball of puran & cover & seal the edges.
- Dust it with flour & roll out to five inches diameter thickness.
- Heat a tawa & cook the poli on both sides until done.
- Serve hot with pure ghee.
Puran Poli is ready to serve hot.