Rava Kesari alias Kesari Recipe is a well-known sweet dish made in South India. This semolina dessert is one of the simplest and quickest recipe made, if you have Sooji/ Semolina/ Rava/ Rave in your kitchen. In Northern parts of India this dish is famous in the name of Sooji ka Halwa and Sheera. This dessert is normally made during special occasions and festivals such as Janmashtami, Rakshabandhan, and Navaratri. Will also recommend during fasting too. Even though Roasted Rava/ Semolina is easily available in market but then also we need to roast rava in low flame for few minutes to get the delicious taste of this sweet. Sugar water needs to be added to the roasted semolina when it is hot and boiling to avoid lumps forming. There is one thing I have done something different from the normal kesari recipe that is addition of Milk to give a moist texture to Rava and no colors added to enhance the looks.
- Sooji Rava/ Rave/ Semolina – 1cup
- Milk – 1cup
- Sugar – 1cup (or as per your taste)
- Water – 1 ½ cup
- Cashew nuts – 8nos (chopped)
- Raisins – 8nos
- Cardamom powder – a pinch
- Ghee – 1tbsp
- Heat a pan, add ½ tbsp. of ghee, add semolina and roast in low flame till it turns to slight brown in color.
- See to it that the semolina is not burnt. Sauté continuously using a spatula.
- In the meantime, combine water and sugar in a deep bottom vessel and bring it to boil. Low flame. Stir in regular intervals for 5mins.
- When the semolina has changed its color, add milk and stir nicely. When the milk is completely evaporated, add chopped cashewnuts. Stir well.
- Add sugar syrup and cardamom powder and stir well till all the items are well combined.
- When the kesari is almost dry. Switch off flame.
- In another kadai, heat ½ tbsp. of ghee. Add raisins and when it starts bubbling, pour the entire item into the kesari and mix well.
Rava Kesari/ Sheera is ready to serve warm. Can be eaten with Poori too as Halwa Poori.