Sabudana (Sago) khichdi is a Maharashtrian recipe which is normally made during fasting or any festival. It is also a very famous breakfast among Mumbaikars. Normally it is served with sweet dahi/ curd/ yogurt. It is made with great combination of green chilies & crushed peanuts & cumin seeds to enhance the flavor. You can even add grated coconut to it.
- Sabudana/ Sauari – 1cup
- Roasted Peanuts/ Kappalandi – ¾ cup
- Onion – 2 medium sized (chopped finely)
- Potato – 1 medium sized (chopped into small cubes)
- Ginger – 1inch (chopped finely)
- Green chilies – 6nos (roundly chopped)
- Sugar – a pinch
- Hing – a pinch
- Jeera/ Cumin seeds/ Jeerakam – 1tsp
- Oil – 2tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Coriander Leaves – 1tsp
- In a vessel add sabudana & wash thoroughly. Drain water completely from sabudana, add ½ tsp salt & keep it aside closed for 6 hrs. After 6hrs, you can see the sabudana has doubled its size.
- Remove the skin of roasted peanuts & grind it in a mixer to make peanut powder. Add peanut powder & sugar to sabudana. Mix well & keep it aside.
- Heat a kadai & pour oil. Add cumin seeds & allow it to splutter. Add hing. Then add chopped green chilies & ginger. Sauté for 2mins
- Add chopped onion, potato & add little salt. Mix well. Cook the potato in medium flame till it turns light brown in color.
- Add sabudana mixture & cook for 10 to 15mins stirring occasionally till the sabudana turns transparent. Make sure that all ingredients get well mixed. Sabudana Khichdi is ready.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves. Serve hot with yogurt.