Coconut Rice a very famous and tasty dish of South India especially in Tamil Nadu. The main component that makes this dish delicious is fresh grated coconut with a combination of Chana dal, Urad dal and Peanuts . We can make this dish in very less time. Rich in taste with less work are the specialities of Coconut Rice/ Thengai sadam. Today let us learn how to make Coconut rice.
- Raw rice – 2cups
- Grated coconut – 1cup
- Mustard seeds/ Rai/ kadaka – 1/2tsp
- Uzhunu/ Urad dal – 1/2tsp
- Chana dal/ Kadala Parrippu – 1/2tsp
- Dry Red Chilies – 2nos
- Onion – 1no (sliced)
- Garlic – 3pods (sliced)
- Peanuts/ Kapalandi/ Shengdana – 1/2tsp (roasted)
- Curry leaves/ Kadipatta/ Karuvepila – 5leaves
- Coconut oil – 1tsp
- Coriander leaves – 1tsp (chopped)
- Salt as per taste.
- Clean the raw rice in cold water 2 or 3 times. Cook the rice with adequate water. Drain the excess water from rice after the rice is almost cooked. (See to it that the rice is not over cooked) Allow the rice to cool.
- Heat a kadai. Add oil. Then add mustard seeds. Allow it to splutter. Then add urad dal, chana dal & dry red chilies. Fry for 5 seconds. The color will turn to slight brown.
- Then add sliced onion & garlic & sauté well till the onion turns transparent. Add salt.
- Add grated coconut & curry leaves. Sauté for 10mins in medium flame.
- Low the flame & add cooked rice & mix nicely. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Coconut Rice/ Thenga sadam is ready to serve hot.