One of the simplest and tastiest chutney is Tomato Onion Chutney. Red in color with a tangy and spicy flavor gives this chutney a different space in chutney’s world. This can become a side dish for white rice too. Tomatoes and onion nicely sautéed with dry red chilies in coconut oil makes a very good combination with our South Indian traditional Idlys and dosas. This chutney goes perfect with Rave Dosa and Rave idly. Tomato chutney can be used to bring a change to our normal coconut chutney.
- Ripe Tomatoes – 4nos (Chopped)
- Onion – 1 (cut into four pieces)
- Dry Red Chilies – 5nos
- Chili powder – ½ tsp
- Rai/ Mustard seeds – 1tsp
- Curry leaves – 6leaves
- Salt as per taste
- Coconut oil – 1tbsp
- Heat ½ tbsp oil in kadai. Add chopped tomatoes and onion and sauté for 2mins.
- Then add dry red chilies, chili powder and adequate salt.
- Nicely sauté in low flame till tomatoes turn tender. Switch off flame.
- Cool the tomatoes and then grind it in mixer to a fine paste.
- Heat the same kadai. Add the balance oil. Splutter mustard seeds and then add curry leaves.
- Add tomato paste and sauté for few mins in low flame. If you feel the tomato chutney is too thick, add ¼ glass of warm water and bring the chutney to boil.
Spicy Tomato Chutney is ready to serve with idly, dosa, rave idly…