Thakkali Sadam is one of the special rice varieties in South India mainly Tamil Nadu. Rice nicely mixed with tomato gives a little tangy flavor along with rich red color. Not much spicy & easy to make mainly during weekends when we are bored to get into kitchen. Children’s get easily attracted to this dish due to its color & taste. Try it once….
- Tomato – 3nos (finely chopped)
- Raw Rice – 1 ½ cup
- Onion – 1no (chopped)
- Green Chilies – 2nos (cut into slits)
- Ginger – 1inch (chopped)
- Garlic – 4nos (chopped)
- Chili powder – 1tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Mustard seeds/ Rai – ½ tsp
- Urad Dal – 1tsp
- Chana Dal – 1tsp
- Curry leaves/ Kadipatta – 6leaves
- Coriander leaves/ Malli Ela – ½ cup
- Oil – 2tbsp
- Salt as per taste.
- Cook rice in a vessel and completely drain out the excess water and allow it to cool.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Splutter mustard seeds, urad dal, and chanadal.
- Then add chopped green chilies, ginger and garlic. Sauté for 2mins in low flame.
- Add chopped onion & sauté for 6mins in low flame. Then add chili powder and turmeric powder.
- Add chopped tomatoes & curry leaves. Sauté well till oil oozes out from sides. Add adequate salt.
- Add the cooked rice & switch off the flame. Nicely mix so that all the ingredients are properly combined with rice. Garnish with Coriander leaves.
- Tomato Rice/ Thakkali Sadam is ready to serve hot with coconut chutney