Vegetable Biryani one of the most popular and tasty rice dish in all parts of India. When we visit restaurants there are different varieties shown in menu card for Biryani such as Chicken biryani, Dum Biryani, Vegetable Biryani, Egg Biryani etc (I have listed only the main ones) but the easiest one is Vegetable Biryani as there is no much effort to be taken to make this authentic dish. We can make biryani in two types i.e. 1. By cooking the rice separately and then adding it to the masala 2. By cooking the rice in the masala and I prefer the second one as I feel that rice can absorb the masalas easily when cooked in it and taste is also good. The same method we follow for Dum Biryani. Vegetable biryani is also known to be a Mughal dish with lots of vegetables and fresh Indian spices. A very delicious and healthy Vegetable Biryani, simple & easy to make for bachelors too. Rich in color & texture which can be presented proudly at your dining table during parties and family get together.
- Biryani Rice – 1 cup
- Onion – 2nos (sliced)
- Carrot – 2nos (small medium cubes)
- Beans – 4nos (small rounds)
- Frozen peas – ¼ cup
- Tomato – 1 medium sized (smashed)
- Tomato sauce (ketchup) – 1tsp
- Lime – ½ piece required
- Ginger – 1inch
- Garlic – 8pods
- Green Chili – 1no
- Garam Masala Powder – 1tsp
- Biryani Masala Powder – 3tsp
- Chili Powder – 1tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ½tsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Water – 1 ½cup
- Coriander leaves – ½cup
- Cashew nuts – 4nos
- Raisins – 4nos
- Oil – 3tsp
- Take Biryani rice in a vessel & nicely clean it with water for 3 to 4 times. Remove complete water from the rice & close the lid & keep it aside for 1/2hr
- Make a paste of ginger, garlic & green chili & keep a side.
- Heat a medium sized pressure cooker & pour oil.
- Add garam masala & sauté for few seconds. Then add sliced onion & sauté on medium flame adding little salt.
- When onion turns transparent & pink in color, add ginger-garlic-green chili paste & sauté well for 2mins.
- Then add chopped vegetables, green peas, sauté well for 2mins
- Then add chili powder, turmeric powder & biryani masala powder & sauté well for 2mins.
- Add smashed tomato & tomato sauce & sauté well till oil starts separating.
- Add biryani rice to it & mix well. Add salt as per taste.
- Then add water to the whole mixture & stir nicely.
- When the water starts boiling add lime juice & cover lid & cook on low flame.
- When the water is completely vaporized, transfer the cooker on top of dosa tawa on high flame.
- When tawa becomes hot, lower the flame & keep stirring in between so that biryani doesn’t stick to bottom of cooker.
- When the biryani is properly cooked, switch off the flame & garnish with coriander leaves ,dry fruits & fried onions.
- Vegetable Biryani is ready to serve. Best combination is raita/ salad.