a very simple, tasty & healthy breakfast. This dish is very much popular in South India and known in various names such as Sevia, Semiya, Seviya, and Sevai. Upma are made in huge variations using refined ground wheat, suji (rava), Avail (poha) & vermicelli. Vermicelli Semiya Upma is loved by most of the kids as this dish resembles a lot with Maggi Noodles. Usually I make this dish on working days as it is not much time consuming as well as need not require any side dish for this recipe. Roasted Vermicelli is used normally for making Semiya Payasam/ Vermicelli Kheer/ Pudding but now we see lots of dishes made out of it such as Vermicelli cutlet, dry sweet, ladoos and upma. Presenting before you my recipe on Vermicelli upma which I hope you will love & try to make at your kitchen.
- Bambino roasted Vermicelli – 250gms
- Green Chillies – 3nos (finely chopped)
- Ginger – 1 inch (finely chopped)
- Onion – 1 medium sized (cubically chopped)
- Carrot – 1 no (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 1 no (finely chopped)
- Chili Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder (Haldi) – a pinch
- Meat Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 4 to 5 leaves
- Coriander leaves – 3 stem (finely chopped)
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Salt as per taste.
- Water – 4 cups.
- Heat oil in a Kadai & when oil turns hot add chopped green chilies & ginger & sauté for 2 mins.
- Then add chopped onion & little salt & sauté till onion turns transparent.
- Add chopped carrot & tomato & sauté for 5 mins.
- Then add chili powder, turmeric powder & meat masala powder & sauté for 2 mins.
- Now add water & bring to boil. Add curry leaves & salt.
- Then add the bambino roasted vermicelli & close it with a lid & low the flame & cook for 5 mins.
- Then higher the flame & sauté till the water is completely removed.
- Switch off the flame & add chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney.