Today presenting before you is a typical Kerala traditional Karimeen Pollichadhu recipe (Pearl spot fish cooked in Banana leaf ). This dish is a specialty of Kerala house boat. Karimeen/ Pearl spot fish stuffed with Indian masala tied in banana leaf & fried are its highlight. Rice (Koothaari) is the best combination for this Non veg dish.
- Karimeen – whole 2pieces
- Turmeric powder – 1/2tsp
- Chili powder – 2tsp
- Vayela/ Banana leaf – 2 medium sizes
- Salt as per taste
- Green Chilies – 5nos cut into slits
- Ginger – 1inch (finely chopped)
- Garlic – 6pods (finely chopped)
- Onion – 1medium sized (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 1 medium sized (finely chopped)
- Curry leaves – 5 leaves
- Coriander powder – 2tbsp
- Chili powder – 1tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1/2tsp
- Salt as per taste.
- Marinate the cleaned karimeen with turmeric powder, chili powder & salt.
- Keep the marinated fish in refrigerator for ½ hour.
- Heat a frying pan & add 3tbsp of oil.
- Place the marinated fish & deep fry both the sides till brown in color. Remove it to a dish.
- In the same oil, add green chilies, ginger, garlic & sauté well for 3mins
- Then add the chopped onion & sauté well till onion turns transparent.
- Then add chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder & salt & sauté for 2 mins.
- Then add tomatoes & sauté till the tomatoes are cooked.
- Add curry leaves & switch off the flame. Masala kutta is ready
- Slightly heat both the sides of banana leaf. Add 2tbsp of masala in center of banana leaf. Place fried fish & coat the above of fish with 2tbsp of masala.
- Then wrap two ends of banana leaf & tie it with a thread.
- Add 2tbsp of oil in frying pan. Place wrapped fish in the frying pan. When oil starts oozing out, turn to other side & fry for 5mins in low flame.
- Remove it in a plate coated with tissue paper.
Kerala style – Karimeen Pollichadhu is ready to serve with hot kuthaari chor (Rice).