Onion Uthappam (Oothappam) is one of the varieties in Dosa. Onion Uthappam is usually made in all South Indian houses mainly for breakfast. Onion uthappam is usually made by sprinkling onion, tomato & green chilies on top of the batter which gives a different taste to the dosa. We can even use our choice vegetables but should be finely chopped so that it can be easy to spread over the batter.
Serves – 3 persons
- Idly Batter – 3cups
- Onion – 1 big size (finely chopped)
- Green Chilies – 2nos (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 1 medium size (finely chopped)
- Coriander/ Malli leaves – 2tbsp (finely chopped)
- Salt – 1tsp
- Oil for sprinkling.
- Ghee – 1tbsp
- In a vessel, pour idly batter & add salt. Thoroughly mix the batter.
- In different vessel, add chopped onion, green chilies, tomato & coriander leaves. Mix all the vegetables.
- Heat a dosa tawa & grease it with little oil. Pour 1 ladle of dosa batter & spread it in a round shape to make a thick dosa. (Don’t spread the batter too much, just make a medium size round shape)
- Sprinkle chopped vegetables over the dosa & nicely pat it with spatula so that the vegetables are settled inside the batter.
- Sprinkle little oil on top & a tsp of ghee. Nicely spread ghee all over the dosa.
- When it starts turning golden in color, flip the dosa onto other side carefully without breaking it.
- Low the flame & cook for 5mins. Remove it from tawa carefully to a serving plate.
Onion uthappam is ready to serve hot with Coconut chammandhi & dosa podi.