Sharkara Varatti is a kerala traditional snack mainly served during Onam Sadya, Vishu Sadya and during family functions and birthdays. This is one of the important side dish among the sady recipes. Sharkara Varatti is made of Raw Kerala Banana fried in coconut oil and marinated with Melted jaggery and chukku powder. The taste of jaggery and crispy fried banana chips makes a great combination.This dish can also be served as an evening snack. Sweet with little salty flavor are its specialty. this is known to be a traditional recipe of Kerala.
- Kerala Banana – 250gms
- Jagger Rawy 100gms
- Chukku Podi – 50gms
- Coconut oil for deep frying.
- Remove the skin from the bananas. Cut the bananas into small pieces as shown in the figure.
- Heat oil in a kadai. When the oil is hot, deep fry the banana pieces till they turn out crispy.
- Remove it to a plate to become cool.
- In another deep bottom vessel, add jaggery and little water(2tbsp) to avoid it to stick to the bottom.
- When the jaggery is completly dissolved and thick, add the crispy banana chips and mix them nicely.
- Then add chukku podi and mix them throughly
- Tasty and delicious Sharkara Varatti is ready to serve for Onam sadya.